Sunday, November 02, 2008

Found Film: ILFORD HP4



Ilford HP4 was introduced in 1965 as a replacement for their HP3 emulsion, although the two were available concurrently until 1969 when the earlier emulsion was phased out. HP4 was rated nominally at 400 ASA when processed in ID11 and 650 when developed in Microphen and was priced at 4/6 (23p). The emulsion was replaced in 1976 by HP5.
This film was given to me for processing by Phillip of Phillips cameras on Fye Bridge in Norwich, who has been the source of a few previous 'found film' posts.
Adox found film
Kodak Tri-x

I made the decision to process the film in Rodinal at 1:25 at 20c for 7 mins with 2 inversions per min agitation. No pre-wet was used and fixing was for 5 mins in Ilford fixer.
The film showed a fair amount of base fog which is normal, along with a mottled effect probably due to dampness.
There is only one image on the film:


Immediately after this shot is a large over-exposed frame, my guess is this was a camera test and after exposing the first frame the shutter 'stuck' and this roll was shoved in a draw for 30+ years until passed on to me.
Not a great find, but some of the info may be useful for others finding old rolls of HP4

Words and Images © Mark Antony Smith

6 comments:

Jonathan said...

Hello,
I don't know what scanner you use when you scan your pictures. But here comes a suggestion. www.scanhancer.com, it would be awesome if you could review that hardware. It would be even more awesome if you had a coolscan V and reviewed it.

Photo–Smith said...

I use a Minolta for my 35mm and an Epson flatbed for 120 film.
I mostly print my B&W with an enlarger, scanners are for web stuff.
But I will review some scanners in the future, possibly Nikon and Imacon.
Time permitting!

Myredreng said...

I received a roll of this film along with a camera recently.
How would you recommend me to develop it if the only developers I have available is ID-11 and HC-110?
Cheers..

Myredreng said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Photo–Smith said...

ID 11 will be fine, depending on how the film has been stored but develop in stock solution for the recommended FP4 times would be a good place to start.
B&W is actually normally good, I'm sure you will get something, the biggest problem is base fogging which will only be an issue if you are printing on an enlarger...

DC Silver said...

I just made the remarkable discovery of two bulk cans of unshot HP4 and FP4 (17 meters each). If you are looking for one of these rare discontinued films, check it out: https://www.etsy.com/shop/CrescentCityConnect